Thursday 14 January 2010

My father's best friend

When I visited my mother this summer a few times I decided to also go visit the man who was my father's best friend. He is a pensioned farmer and a friendly, characteristic man by the name of Fons Bolders. Despite his not so healthy diet: a lot of beer, sigarettes, meat, almost no vegetables and every morning up to 4 eggs with about a gram of salt, he turned 80 last year in good health. So you could say he is the Keith Richard of the farmer community of my hometown. The place where he lives is just the same as 25 years ago when I often came there with my father. Only the surrounding has changed: what was before farm land is now all industrial area. Except for his place, which is like a beacon from the past.




No comments:

Post a Comment