Tuesday 12 January 2010

Thailand 2004: Getting robbed and threatened by lady boys

Greetings from.....

.... Amsterdam :-(

Yes, all good things come to an end. After wandering (and wondering) around for almost 11 months, the money ran out and my camera broke down (water + electronics = AAAARRGHHH!!!!). So no other choice than to go back and start working again (it sounds almost surreal to me). So now I dedicate my life again to the selling of cheese (for half a year - after that I hope I can escape again from Holland).

India is a great country to travel around - many things happening there, but after a few months I needed a holiday from the hassling and the goodname asking. So I went to Thailand. In Bangkok, I accidentally deleted the pictures of the last few weeks in India. This really freaked me out. It was also here that I found out that my camera isn't waterproof.

Thai woman are beautiful, but when they start talking… Let's just say Thai isn't the sexiest language in the world (unlike Turkish; when I heard a Turkish woman talk – it was almost like singing - so sweet and soft). Even guys talk with a high pitch voice, sometimes in a nagging way. It's hard to keep a serious face when you hear people talking like that.
Sometimes (actually a lot of times) you see a really beautiful Thai girl walk around with some kind of Western geek. You think something is wrong with this picture. Next thing you think: "Hey I'm also a Western geek, why don't I walk around with a beautiful Thai girl?" Well I guess I'm not geeky enough. Or maybe they could sense I'm a broke bum.

I didn't see much in Thailand. My camera was broken anyway. But I went to some islands to relax and dive. I did the diving on Ko Tao; that was pretty cool, although the visibility wasn't optimal because of the weather. But it's truly another world out there - fish in the most extraordinary colours swimming above and around colourful coral. You should see for yourself. From Ko Tao I went to Ko Phang Nang, the party island. The music was, in general, really shit (a lot of R&B).

On the full-moon party, I got robbed by a lady-boy. I lay passed out (like every night) on the beach. Suddenly I woke up because I felt somebody fumbling around near my groin. "Aahh, that's nice" was my first reaction. My second reaction, which came a bit too late was: "Fuck, my money". These lady-boys, by the way, are kind of scary. They are quite aggressive and I heard the story of one rubbin’ his genitals in some guys face who had passed out. How sick can you be?

I also got threatened by a waiter. The asshole wanted to charge us (3 vegetarians) for noodles with pork, which we obviously had not ordered, not even by accident. Of course, I didn't agree with him and I made this clear to him. His reaction was to slap me in the face (I didn't see that one coming) with the palm of his hand (he was a kind of sissy), and grabbed a pair of scissors and started waving it at me. After I realised what had happened I threw some beer in his face, but realising that Thai people can go blind with rage (the state he was in right now), I decided to leave the establishment. So if you ever go to Ko Pang Nang: don't go to Bottle beach, it kind of sucks.

On my last day in Bangkok, I went to the ATM machine and all I could dispense was about 10 euros, so it really was time to go home.

I have really good memories of this trip. I visited interesting, beautiful places, inhabited by the most wonderful and strange creatures (some of them not human). I will always remember the hospitality of some of the people I met in Romania, Turkey, Iran and Pakistan. So many things were overwhelming. For now it's work, work, work again. But I hope to be able to go to Eritrea in January. Let me know what you're up to, I'm curious.

bye

Kurt

No comments:

Post a Comment